Job Announcement: Membership & Development Manager
Letterform Archive seeks a talented fundraiser to support its membership and development programs.
Reporting to the Chief Financial & Operating Officer (CFO/COO), the Membership & Development Manager works primarily to be the friendly face of the Archive’s membership program and build sustainable funding through fundraising
About Letterform Archive
Letterform Archive is a nonprofit center for inspiration, education, and community. We offer hands-on access to a curated collection of over 85,000 items related to lettering, typography, calligraphy, and graphic design. Every year, we welcome thousands of visitors from across the world, including students, practitioners, and design admirers from every creative background.
In addition to hosting visits and public events, the Archive serves a global community through social media, an online archive featuring state-of-the-art photography, and a book program that draws from the collection as well as publishes new work from its contributors. We offer courses and workshops in type design, calligraphy, and typography. We also curate exhibitions of our holdings and organize lectures by visiting artists and designers.
As a close-knit team of typophiles, lettering lovers, graphic design fans, and book arts enthusiasts, everyone at the Archive — regardless of role — helps in some way to promote the collection, offering tours, assisting at events, or engaging with the design community at large.
- Work closely with the CFO/COO to establish fundraising goals; build an annual development plan to match the Archive’s strategic plan and regularly review its progress; and create donor-centered strategies to connect visitors and fans of the Archive to meaningful opportunities to impact the people the Archive serves through their gifts.
Prospect Identification and Development (25%)
- Identify and build a pipeline of potential individual donors, corporate members and sponsors, and grant funders and create personalized cultivation plans to secure their support.
- Create and maintain prospect portfolios for key staff members and work with them to follow cultivation plans, ask for gifts, and steward appropriately.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the Archive’s individual and corporate members and manage the fulfillment of their benefits.
- Plan and coordinate membership renewals and acquisition campaigns.
- Imagine and implement creative strategies to attract new and retain current members.
- Create opportunities to demonstrate our love and gratitude for members.
Appeals and Campaign Management (25%)
- Plan, write copy for, and manage year-end and other special campaigns.
- Work with the graphic designer and editorial team to develop innovative and original creative content including print mailings and brochures.
- Collaborate with editorial and social media teams to place and time content in the Archive’s newsletter, blog, and social media channels.
- Track campaigns; prepare regular campaign and fundraising reports.
- Work with contract grant writers to develop LOIs, grant applications, and necessary mid- and post-grant reports.
Stewardship and Database Administration (15%)
- Manage the Archive’s CRM, including entering gifts, updating records, and ensuring all touch points are properly documented.
- Capture and share statistics and stories of impact from Archive programs.
- Demonstrate our gratitude for donors through a timely and delightful membership and gift acknowledgement program.
Special Events (5%)
- Assist with the development of and coordinate cultivation and stewardship events, including membership benefit events.
The Membership & Development Manager will regularly be required to perform desk-based computer tasks, including using a computer screen for long periods of time, typing, and making phone calls.
The Archive will provide reasonable accommodations to an employee with a disability who requires accommodations to perform the essential functions of their job.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
To ensure the health and safety of the Archive’s community, all newly hired employees of Letterform Archive are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, absent qualifying exemptions for medical, religious, or other reasons in accordance with all applicable laws.
Minimum qualifications are those we expect all qualified candidates to possess:
- 3 or more years of experience in nonprofit fund development.
- An intermediate understanding of fund development theory including donor motivations, prospect identification, moves management, donor-centered copywriting, and stewardship.
Ideal qualifications are additional qualifications that are not required but are ideal for this position. An ideal candidate would have some but not necessarily all of the following:
- Experience managing a membership or annual giving program.
- Experience administering a donor CRM including setting policy and procedures, cleaning data, and syncing with other databases.
- Experience writing donor-centered communications including solicitations and acknowledgement letters.
- Experience with foundation grants.
- Experience planning and managing special events.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency using Excel.
- Experience fundraising for a visual arts organization.
We value candidates whose skills and lived experience have prepared them to understand and uphold our core values of collaboration, hospitality, creativity, humility, and accessibility. The ideal candidate also has:
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- A curiosity and eagerness to learn
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination
Letterform Archive is an equal opportunity workplace, community, and place of learning. The Archive does not discriminate in employment or in offering educational services and programs. Learn more.
Location and Work Schedule
This is a hybrid role that we anticipate working on site at Letterform Archive’s offices in San Francisco about 2–3 days per week. Occasional travel may be required for membership and other fundraising events.
This position is not remote.
Position Type and Work Schedule
This is a full-time, exempt position working 40 hours per week during the Archive’s normal office hours in addition to occasional nights and weekends as required for fundraising events.
Compensation and Benefits
The pay rate for this role is between $70,000 and $80,000 per year, depending on candidate experience and qualifications. Letterform Archive offers benefits to all full-time employees including:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage with subsidized dependent coverage
- Three weeks of Paid Time Off each year
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Sick leave
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Pre-tax commuter benefit
- Annual professional development budget
- Waived tuition to Archive workshops
- Complimentary Archive membership
You will be surrounded by — and able to interact with — beautiful, meaningful materials from the Archive’s collection, as well as a diverse and dynamic community of those who love letters and design. Your colleagues will be a small group of people who are passionate about the organization and eager to share their enthusiasm through their work.
How to Apply
Please apply by submitting a résumé and a short cover letter explaining your interest in this position at letterformarchive.org/careers by Sunday, October 23, 2022.
You may address your cover letter to the “hiring committee” and it should be no more than one page. The most effective cover letters explain your interest in the Archive and this position, and make clear how your qualifications match this role’s responsibilities.
Letterform Archive is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and need assistance applying or have questions about accommodation during the hiring process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.