Job Announcement: Weekend Guest Services Attendant
Letterform Archive seeks a friendly and customer service–oriented individual to help staff the Archive’s exhibition gallery and shop.
Reporting to the Guest Experience & Programming Coordinator, the Weekend Guest Services Attendant works primarily to ensure that guests have a safe and positive experience by being the friendly face of the Archive at our admissions desk and assisting guests in the gift shop.
About Letterform Archive
Letterform Archive is a nonprofit center for inspiration, education, and community. We offer hands-on access to a curated collection of over 85,000 items related to lettering, typography, calligraphy, and graphic design. Every year, we welcome thousands of visitors from across the world, including students, practitioners, and design admirers from every creative background.
In addition to hosting visits and public events, the Archive serves a global community through social media, an online archive featuring state-of-the-art photography, and a book program that draws from the collection as well as publishes new work from its contributors. We offer courses and workshops in type design, calligraphy, and typography. We also curate exhibitions of our holdings and organize lectures by visiting artists and designers.
As a close-knit team of typophiles, lettering lovers, graphic design fans, and book arts enthusiasts, everyone at the Archive — regardless of role — helps in some way to promote the collection, offering tours, assisting at events, or engaging with the design community at large.
Guest Services (60%)
- Greet and check in on-site visitors, answer questions, and proactively find ways to improve the guest experience.
- Field general inquiries and answer phone calls.
- Work with Guest Experience & Programming Coordinator to ensure that required contact information is collected from all Archive visitors, either by registration in advance (preferred) or by registration on site.
- Assist with crowd management as needed.
- Stay up-to-date on — and be prepared to share information about — current and upcoming exhibitions, public programming, and other events.
- Sell shop stock in person and facilitate online sales when necessary.
- Handle cash responsibly and balance cash drawer(s) daily.
- Assist with bookshop inventory as needed.
- Stay up-to-date on — and be prepared to share information about — current and upcoming publications and products.
Development & Marketing Support (10%)
- Actively promote memberships.
- Distribute Archive collateral to visitors and restock in public spaces as needed.
- Be prepared to share the ways guests can have an impact on the sustainability of the Archive through time, money, or evangelism.
- Ensure that the exhibitions gallery and shop are set up appropriately for tours, classes, and events.
- Maintain the general safety and cleanliness of public areas (gallery, reading room, shop, and classroom) and escalate issues to janitorial or other staff as needed; monitor gallery for safety and security issues.
The Guest Services Assistant will regularly be required to perform desk-based computer tasks, including using a computer screen for long periods of time, typing, and making phone calls.
They may also frequently be required to move boxes weighing up to 20 pounds; push and maneuver a fully-loaded book truck weighing up to 60 pounds.
The Archive will provide reasonable accommodations to an employee with a disability who requires accommodations to perform the essential functions of their job.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
To ensure the health and safety of the Archive’s community, all newly hired employees of Letterform Archive are required to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, absent qualifying exemptions for medical, religious, or other reasons in accordance with all applicable laws.
Minimum qualifications are those we expect all qualified candidates to possess:
- 1 year of experience in a customer service role.
Ideal qualifications are additional qualifications that are not required but are ideal for this position. An ideal candidate would have some but not necessarily all of the following:
- 1+ years of experience with a point of sale system (like Square).
- 1+ years of experience handling cash in a retail store.
- Experience working at a museum, art gallery, or other arts venue.
- Experience with, expertise in, or an interest in an area of Letterform Archive’s collections (like typography, graphic design, artists books, medieval manuscripts, or calligraphy).
We value candidates whose skills and lived experience have prepared them to understand and uphold our core values of collaboration, hospitality, creativity, humility, and accessibility. The ideal candidate also possesses:
- A customer service orientation
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Detail orientation
- Curiosity and eagerness to learn
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination
Letterform Archive is an equal opportunity workplace, community, and place of learning. The Archive does not discriminate in employment or in offering educational services and programs. Learn more.
This role works out of Letterform Archive’s offices in San Francisco, California. This is not a remote position.
Position Type and Work Schedule
This is a part-time, non-exempt position working 16 hours per week during the Archive’s open exhibition hours on Saturdays and Sundays from 11 am – 6 pm as well as opening and closing.
Compensation and Benefits
The pay rate for this role is between $19.00 and $21.00 per hour depending on candidate experience and qualifications.
Letterform Archive offers benefits to all employees including:
- Sick leave
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Pre-tax commuter benefit
- Complimentary Archive membership
You will be surrounded by — and able to interact with — beautiful, meaningful materials from the Archive’s collection, as well as a diverse and dynamic community of those who love letters and design. Your colleagues will be a small group of people who are passionate about the organization and eager to share their enthusiasm through their work.
How to Apply
Please apply by submitting a résumé at letterformarchive.org/careers by Sunday, October 2, 2022. No cover letter is necessary.
Letterform Archive is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and need assistance applying or have questions about accommodation during the hiring process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.