New Volunteer Opportunities !
Calling all type-lovers to volunteer as attendants for our Gallery!
Letterform Archive is seeking volunteers to support in gallery and shop operations, to ensure that each guest has a fulfilling experience.
- Serve as the friendly and helpful first point of contact for general inquiries; answer phone calls and forward to Volunteer Supervisor as needed
- Greet and check in on-site guests
- Assist visitors in the Archive Bookshop and operate the point-of-sale system
- Verify guest’s proof of vaccination, ensure visitor compliance with the Archive’s COVID-19 safety practices
- Buzz visitors into the gallery after 6pm
- Have a basic understanding of exhibition subject material to answer any related questions that visitors may have, and forward department-specific questions to volunteer supervisor
- Distribute Archive collateral to visitors and restock in public spaces as needed
- Maintain the general safety and cleanliness of public areas and escalate issues to janitorial or other staff as needed; monitor gallery for safety and security issues
Our Ideal Volunteer
- Experience as a cashier or with operating a point-of-sale (POS) system
- Passion for or expertise in an area of specialization appropriate to our collections (e.g., graphic design, typography, book arts, etc.)
- Friendly, welcoming, patient, and customer service-oriented
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Reliable, consistent
Location and Schedule
This volunteer position takes place at Letterform Archive’s offices in San Francisco, California, and is not remote. We are happy to work with you to determine a volunteering schedule that you can regularly maintain.
Up to 14 hours of volunteer shifts are available per week during the Archive’s normal exhibition gallery hours (Thursday through Saturday).
This volunteer position is scheduled to start in March of 2022.
As the role includes cash handling, finalists will need to submit to a background check.
Get to know our collection through our exhibitions! While you are an active volunteer, you will also be granted a standard level membership; learn more here.
How to Apply
We are accepting volunteer applications on a rolling basis.
Please apply by filling out the form attached, and we will be in touch soon after we receive your application!
Letterform Archive is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and need assistance applying or have questions about accommodation, please email email@example.com.
Belonging, Dignity, & Justice
Letterform Archive believes strongly in building a workplace that provides for everyone to reach their full potential and thrive as both workers and people.
To help achieve that goal, the Archive seeks to build a culture where:
- our team members have a sense of belonging by feeling physically, emotionally and psychologically safe;
- the inherent dignity of each person is upheld; and
- our policies are rooted in justice by being restorative in nature and practice.
Belonging, dignity, and justice also means centering the voices and experiences of marginalized people and we encourage all qualified volunteers to apply, including: women; Black, Indigenous, and people of color; folks who are trans or nonbinary; people who are queer, lesbian, gay, or bisexual; Autistic and neurodivergent people; folks with visible or invisible disabilities; anyone from another historically marginalized group or anyone at the intersection of these groups.
Letterform Archive is a nonprofit center for inspiration, education, and community. We offer hands-on access to a curated collection of over 75,000 items related to lettering, typography, calligraphy, and graphic design. Every year, we welcome thousands of visitors from across the world, including students, practitioners, and design admirers from every creative background.