Certificate Core: Introduction to Roman Capitals
Participants will explore the historical roots and anatomy of the Roman Capitals. We'll study stylistic properties and structural elements of the Capitals to get a deeper understanding of the history and evolution of the Latin script.
Using a brush and following closely Edward Catich's model and teachings we will construct letters stroke by stroke exploring their essential geometry and gestures.
- Understand the anatomy and structure of Roman Capitals
- Become familiar with the basic techniques of brush manipulation
- Apply principles of letter construction
- 1/2" Flat Brush and any other flat brush you want to try. (We recommend W & N series 995)
- Sumi Ink or tube of black gouache
- Pencil, eraser, sharpener
- Drafting tape
- 12" ruler (or bigger)
- Reliable internet connection and Zoom app
- Large pad of paper (12" x 18" or larger; we recommend the Canson Sketch XL Pad)
Note: This workshop is only open to students enrolled in the Type West Certificate Program in Type Design.