Cyrillicsly: Serious about Cyrillic
Award-winning type designers, Krista Radoeva and Maria Doreuli will demonstrate how to create a Cyrillic extension to your own Latin font.
Learn the history and design fundamentals for designing Cyrillic typefaces in this four-day workshop. Through a combination of lectures, exercises, independent work, and feedback sessions, you will gain an understanding of the structure and the logic behind the Cyrillic script.
The instructors will provide an in-depth look into history, writing, calligraphy, and the contemporary state of the Cyrillic script in order to develop an understanding of the basic structure of letterforms. They will then offer a well-structured system on how to approach designing Cyrillic letterforms.
Besides the basic Cyrillic, participants will become aware of country-specific alternatives. The mentors will share research on extended Cyrillic — not only Bulgarian and Serbian localised forms, but a huge amount of mysterious letters that are being used in hidden parts of Russia and in many of the post-Soviet countries.
- Understanding of history and context of the Cyrillic script
- Learn about the differences and similarities between Latin and Cyrillic
- Design Basic Cyrillic for your Latin typeface in a systematic way
- We’ll also cover different character sets & languages, localised forms, Extended Cyrillic
- A Latin typeface they will be expanding to Cyrillic
- A computer with any font editor