The Flexible Mirror: Contemporary Book Design IN-PERSON Workshop
with Kevin Barrett Kane, Emma Christine Hall
Learn the fundamentals of book design from seasoned pros, including layout, typesetting, cover design, and manufacturing.
During this in-person weekend workshop (Saturday–Sunday, June 24 and 25), participants will learn about book and cover design history and practice.
- Learn the basics of professional typesetting in InDesign
- Apply contemporary typesetting techniques to historical layout models
- See how InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and other analog techniques can be used to build book covers
- Learn about comping book covers to quickly generate many ideas
- A laptop or desktop computer with a subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud is ideal, though not essential. The course will be taught using Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop. For students to get the full worth of the program, at least a free trial version of these apps is recommended.
- Analog tools for cover design can be used at the participant's discretion.
Diversity and Equity Scholarship
Diversity and Equity are important to all of us at Letterform Archive, and we are committed to increasing opportunities for underrepresented groups within the type and design communities.
We are offering one BIPOC/Equity scholarship seat in this workshop.
To apply for this scholarship, please complete and submit to us the short form linked here at least a week prior to the start of the workshop.
Kevin Barrett Kane
Kevin Barrett Kane is an award-winning book designer and typographer. He is the senior book designer at the University of California Press, and his client list includes Chronicle Books, Wilsted & Taylor, John Wiley & Sons, Stanford University Press, and more. He co-founded The Frontispiece book design studio in 2015, and has over his 10–year career designed over 1000 book covers and interiors.
Emma Christine Hall
Emma Christine Hall is a book designer specializing in bestselling mass-market nonfiction titles with high-complexity layouts and large art programs. She is a senior designer at Zeitgeist, an imprint of Penguin Random House. She co-founded The Frontispiece in 2015. Her atypical publishing career has afforded her the opportunity to work on books in a wide range of topics and formats such as cookbooks, children’s books, puzzle books, card decks, spellbooks, and more.