Operations Associate, Letterform Archive
Letterform Archive is a San Francisco-based nonprofit library and museum dedicated to inspiring and educating all who love letters. The Archive offers visitors hands-on access to its curated collection of 35,000+ books, posters, journals/magazines, and ephemera related to lettering, typography, calligraphy, and graphic design. The collection is extraordinarily eclectic, spanning 2,000 years of history and with artists and movements from over a dozen countries represented. The Archive serves a local and global community through guided tours, a research-friendly reading room, class and team visits, lectures, workshops and classes, book sales, meals, and publications on graphic design and the letter arts, as well as through an active social media presence featuring state-of-the-art photography. Since opening to the public in February 2015, the Archive has welcomed over 2,300 visitors from 30+ countries.
Letterform Archive seeks an organized, proactive, energetic, detail-oriented, and reliable individual to serve as its Operations Associate. This position directly impacts the success and sustainability of a dynamic new institution.
Given our ambitions and fast growth, in addition to her/his principal responsibilities (described below), the Operations Associate will be unapologetically counted on to roll up her/his sleeves and pitch in on new initiatives on short notice. All Archive staff lead collections-based tours for the public, and participate in regular collections salons to broaden their knowledge and hone their presentation skills.
Occasional weekend and evening work may be necessary.
The Operations Associate will take charge of general office management as well as assist the Executive Director in her duties. Principal responsibilities include:
- Responding to routine emails and phone calls, both for the Archive and the ED
- Scheduling recurring meetings, ordering meals, and making travel and registration arrangements for the team
- Planning meetings for the ED, including scheduling, agendas, and staff 1:1s
- Greeting and signing in visitors and volunteers
- Assisting the ED with HR and payroll execution
- Helping prepare Board documents, presentations, & other documents
- Keeping our three rental units in good condition; this includes build-outs, utilities, housekeeping management, ordering supplies, maintenance requests, and tidying
- Overseeing bookkeeping, expense reporting, receipts & invoices, and petty cash
- Managing event / workshop setup & logistics; working with vendors and caterers
- Planning and budgeting for team building and staff appreciation events
- Maintaining the ED’s contacts, files, and records
- Processing incoming and outgoing mail, deliveries, and post office dropoffs
- Other duties as assigned
The Operations Associate will frequently be required to:
- sit and perform desk-based computer tasks
- file or sort paperwork
She/he may less frequently be required to:
- lift and/or move items weighing up to 25 pounds
- push and maneuver a fully-loaded book truck weighing up to 60 pounds
- stand, climb, balance, stretch, twist, kneel, stoop, bend, or crouch
The Archive will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2+ years of demonstrated achievement working in a similar role
- Superlative written and oral communication skills
- Superlative organizational and time management skills
- Tech-savvy and proficient with Google Apps and Mac OS
- Meticulous detail orientation; focus on accuracy
- (Preferred) Degree in or involvement with an area of specialization appropriate to our collections (e.g., graphic design, book arts, book history, etc.)
- Team player, with a friendly and welcoming demeanor & customer service orientation
- Flexibility and comfort in a rapidly changing environment
- “Can-do” attitude; willing to tackle a variety of projects, including new challenges
- Able to work independently, prioritize, and multi-task
- Able to remain positive, patient, and calm regardless of circumstances
- Able to see projects from inception to completion against short turnaround times
- Uses discretion when handling sensitive and confidential information
- Curious and eager to learn
We value candidates whose skills and experience have prepared them to understand and uphold our core values of excellence, nimbleness, collaboration, humility, hospitality, design sensitivity, and community.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. Salary is commensurate with credentials and experience.
Letterform Archive pays 100% of full-time employee medical and vision insurance premiums. All full-time employees receive 15 days’ paid vacation plus 10 paid national holidays annually, and accumulate sick-leave days according to San Francisco regulations. All full-time employees are able to take Archive classes and workshops free of charge, and receive an annual subvention toward professional development.
You will also be surrounded by (and able to interact to your heart’s content with) beautiful, meaningful objects, and a diverse, interesting community of those who love letters. Your colleagues are 6 men and women who are all passionate about the organization and eager to share their enthusiasm through excellent work.
Letterform Archive is committed to equal opportunity employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org, marked to the attention of Simran Thadani, with a single PDF containing:
- a cover letter in which you address your interest in this position, your previous related experience, and why you think you would be a good fit for this role
- a résumé
- the names and contact information of three references
For first consideration, please apply by February 1, 2017. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Posted June 2016
Development Director, Letterform Archive
This position was filled in September 2016
Posted February 2016
Operations Associate, Letterform Archive
This position was filled in April 2016
Posted August 2015
Librarian, Letterform Archive
This position was filled in October 2015
1001 Mariposa Street #307
San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
email@example.com :: +1.415.802.7485