A Brief Typographic Trip Around the World, Part 1
Coronavirus update: Letterform Archive and our partners are taking proactive steps that will help to protect our community. This seminar will now take place online. Register below to get a link to the webinar.
Letterform Archive is honored to participate in Between Heritage and Modernity, a series of seminars dedicated to Arabic type design and typography, curated by Dr. Nadine Chahine.
The theme of the series revolves around concepts of modernity in Arabic type design, the heritage of Arabic letterforms in the context of current technologies, contemporary Arabic branding design, and the history of Arab graphic design. The series brings together renowned designers working with Arabic type, both from the U.S. and the Middle East.
For the final panel discussion on March 19, Technology and Heritage, Letterform Archive’s Editorial Director and Associate Curator Stephen Coles will present highlights from the Archive’s growing collection of global writing systems, including manuscripts, type specimens, and other typographic artifacts. Arabic examples will include commentary from experts Dr. Nadine Chahine and Dr. Mamoun Sakkal.
Dr. Sakkal will also participate in this session with a lecture on Calligraphy, Type, Image: A Journey into Arabic Script and Erich Scheichelbauer, of the font editing software Glyphs, will join Dir. Chahine to present Technology and the Arabic Script.
Learn more about the series at the Center for Book Arts, and register (for free!) to access the Technology and Heritage webinar below:
- low resolution presentation slides
- high resolution presentation slides
- video about Letterform Archive and how to join
Links to Some of the Work Shown
- Global Scripts in the Online Archive
- Shaped Text
- The Complete Commercial Artist
- Berthold’s Arabic and Hebrew type specimens
- The Square by Islam Aly
- Marginalia IV by Islam Aly
Resources on Writing Systems
- The World’s Writing Systems
- “Will all our languages be Romanised?” — an extensive writing systems map from Le Monde diplomatique
- decodeunicode — explore the world of Unicode
- Atlas of Endangered Alphabets
- Kigelia — a typeface for Africa
- Arabic Typography — an excellent primer for learning about the Arabic script, how to write it, and how to design and use Arabic type